Sunday, December 16, 2007

IT IS THE SEASON TO GIVE THANKS

“IN EVERYTHING GIVE THANKS”

“In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”
1 Thes. 5:18

This is the season to give thanks. It is a time to remember with love those who touch our lives in so many special ways.

Many of my readers are unaware that I have had eight operations, spent 132 days in the hospital, with the remaining time mostly homebound since July of 2006.

It has given me so much time to think and to appreciate friends. I have learned to take my thoughts about myself and turn it toward those who have cared for me.

Therefore:
I give thanks to my wife who has given all her time to me during these 17 months.
I give thanks to my sons and their families through this time.
I give thanks to the hospitals whose staff aided in my recoveries.
I give thanks to my many doctors whose expertise has given me continued life.
I give thanks to therapists who were patient with me while they taught me to walk again.
I give thanks to my BJC homecare nurses whose care and friendliness made me confident in my recuperation.
I give thanks to my pastors and our church members who have not forgotten us.
I give thanks to other pastors whose visits and prayers were blessings.
I give thanks for churches around the country who have kept me furnished with DVD’s of their services.
I give thanks for those from business, organizations, and the editor of this paper whose visits were rewarding.
I give thanks to a young couple’s class that decorated our home for Christmas while the men powerwashed the mold from our house and fence. The dinner and worship time afterwards brought real joy.
I give thanks for the hundreds of cards, emails, and phone calls from around the country and abroad.
I give thanks to my McDonald’s Sunday night friends (5 couples) who brought snacks, coffee, and offered a worship time.
I give thanks for friends who have driven us to the doctors or hospitals in St. Louis without complaint.
I give thanks for a friend who shoveled snow last Sunday morning my entire drive and sidewalk.
I give thanks for my classmates who have called and prayed
I give thanks that, besides our local paper, other state and national publications have published my writings.
I give thanks for a room for rest with a computer nearby to write, research, or to just enjoy surfing the internet.

But most important of all, I give thanks to God who loved the world so much that He gave His son who offered eternal life beyond the troubles of this life.

“O give thanks unto the Lord; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people” Psalm 105:1

No comments: