Sunday, September 14, 2008

REALLY ROUGHING IT!


Hostel in Northern Spain

My wife and I had completed a weekend of speaking at a church near Madrid, Spain and were to travel to southern France the next day to speak to a concave of Missionaries from Spain and France.

The next morning we left headed north on the winding highway meeting and passing hundreds of cars on the narrow highway. Our driver, who understood Spanish drivers made an additional lane in the middle section of the highway and blew his horn repeatedly to warn of our presence. To say I was terrified would be a correct evaluation of my feelings.

As darkness was beginning to present itself we stopped at a hotel that had been built in an old castle. It was unique and would have been a good place to stay, but our missionary companions thought it was a bit high. So we traveled about two more hours until starting into the high Pyrenees with rugged forested hills and canyons, and the snowcapped mountains of the Pyrenees themselves.

We entered a small village and we pulled into a hostel and found they had room for four. At the check-in we were not told that they were without water for the toilets or for the heat boilers. It was very late by now and we didn’t desire to go farther since it had taken so long to find this place. We went into the little cafĂ© that was ready to close and ate what they had left to offer then headed for our room. With nothing working we went to bed. Our beds were narrow, only enough for one, and we were weighted down with heavy quilts. We could barely move and nearly froze to death.

I was nearly asleep when my wife asked if she could move in with me because she was cold. Since the beds were so narrow, we soon learned she would have to move back to her own bed, because it was so uncomfortable for two. What a night to remember! My wife and I rejoiced for a roof over our heads, but didn’t get much rest.

In our 50 years together we have had many interesting events. This one causes us to have a frigid feeling each time we remember it.


“Whensoever I take my journey into Spain, I will come to you: for I trust to see you in my journey and to be brought on my way thitherward by you, if first I be somewhat filled with your company.” --Romans 15:24

No comments: