Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Water Keeps Running


Niagara Falls


We lived in Columbus, Ohio for 20 years while our sons were growing up. A pastor friend always went to Rice Lake in Ontario, Canada, every year fishing and after every trip he would encourage my family to join him and his wife for a week there.

Our first trip was a time our sons has never forgotten. In fact, after my sons married and had their own families, I once asked them what they remember most of what I did for them when they were teens. Both with concert have said it would the summers I took them to Canada fishing and just being together.

We fished from early to late each day and they had the time of their life. I must admit I also enjoyed it to, and the job worries from home were soon forgotten.

However, getting there was also highlighted by many beautiful stops of which the most unique was Niagara Falls.

I remember the first time we saw Niagara Falls. We first went to view closely the America falls and we were so overwhelm by it. But, it was from the Canadian side standing in the mist looking across at the Horse Shoe falls and around to its side, the American Falls presented the most beautiful views. Together they drop to the Niagara River nearly 200 feet below. Of course, I had seen many photographs of the falls. I had also seen newsreels, documentaries and feature films that clearly showed the falls. But none of them had prepared me for the impact the falls, when viewed directly.

On another trip with my wife, we ventured up the Minolta tower which rises nearly 500 feet above the Niagara River, for a meal together at the rotating restaurant and I cannot put to words the views at such a height.

Our last time there was nearly 25 years ago with our youngest son and his new wife. I still remember their awe for such beauty.

On every visit we made, we would stand on the very edge of the Horse Shoe Falls watching the torrent rush over that edge and hearing the thunderous noise it made. It was an experience that I will never forget.

After our return home, friends would frequently ask what Niagara Falls was like and was it worth the trip to see it? After my experiences I had but one reply to their question—you have to go and see!

There are times and experiences that cannot adequately be described by words or even pictures. Niagara Falls is like that. So is the Grand Canyon and so is the Matterhorn.
I have been blessed to have see much of the beauty of our planet, but I am expecting to see greater beauty in heaven described by the Bible, “as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.” 1 Corinthians 2:9

No comments: