Monday, December 1, 2008

Who says, There are no angels.

I met an Angel unaware at Dallas
After a few unexpected days of delay in Colorado Springs, my plane had left in a clear sky, but after two hours in the air the slow storm moving east had picked-up more moisture from the gulf making the clouds dark and heavy.
The pilot warned that our descend into the Dallas-Fort Worth airport would be rough, so I fastened my seatbelt for it. He was right, and I rejoiced when we made the landing safely.
After deplaning, I headed to my next gate to change planes to Nashville. I observed that a plane, which normally would have already been in, was not there.
A young lady from Oklahoma City had also just landed made her way to the same departure gate, recognized me and came over to sit near me since I had recently spoken in her college chapel.
The time for the scheduled departure came and still no plane. The rain was coming down in torrants and the wind was fierce causing no planes to land or take off.
Such a storm I had not seen in a long time, which continued until about 1 a.m. when the gate attendant announced, “This flight has been cancelled.”
In anger a host of unhappy travelers converged on the counter.
Being an experienced traveler I caught the eye of the young lady who had told me she was not only scared, but not feeling very well, jesturing for her to follow me. We hastened to a service desk a short distance away where the attendant was obviously closing when we walked up. She smiled through what appeared to be a tired and weary face as I said, “Our flight was just cancelled and I wonder if you would be so kind as to help us get on a plane to Nashville. If we cannot go together, put this young lady on the first available flight because she is sick.”
“I see one seat on the 6 a.m. flight which I will put her on, but nothing is available until 8 p.m. for you. That is the best I can do.” I nodded to the affirmative.
By then others had come and gathered behind us when she said, “Can you wait over here while I take care of these others?” She picked up the phone and evidently asked for help because in a very short time a couple more attendants came permitting her to leave.
“Please get on the cart over there she kindly requested. You were so kind to let the young lady go first. You were so different than all those that came behind you. My minister talks about kindness to others and patience all the time- which I try to practice.”
Little did I know she had also reserved two places for us in the Ambassador Club (for the Airline customer elite) where she was taking us. As she got permission to go in, she introduced us to the desk clerk who said, “I am sorry I only have two chairs that make into a bed position, but this will be much better than the hard seats outside.”
She smiled again as she departed with, “You both just seemed special!”
What an awesome God who gave me patience in Colorado Springs and again in the Dallas-Fort Worth airport sending an earthly angel to care for our needs.
Again my belief in a keeping and protecting God brought the rewards even in the midst of inconvience.
On June 28, 1787, at the Constitutional Convention, Benjamin Franklin raised a timely question: ”I have lived, Sir, a long time; and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this Truth, that God governs in the Affairs of Men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the Ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His Aid?“ Mr. Franklin understood the power of prayer, and so should we.Often I have thought of that angel that night and what how God will bless her. “And whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, I tell you, he shall not lose his reward." --Matthew 10:42. And His promise to we who follow Him, “Trouble chases sinners, while blessings reward the righteous.” --Proverbs 13:21 (NLT).

No comments: