Sunday, February 22, 2009

ONE SIZE FITS ALL


His garments were provided from another not once but twice

Our flight from Columbus, Ohio to the city of Port of Spain, the capital city of the country of Trinidad, had been uneventful until we got to the luggage claim after deplaning.

The airport was not a very large one so finding our luggage was quite easy. Immediately I spotted my two suitcases, but my friend who was traveling with me became alarmed as all the luggage had been removed and his was not there. His first thoughts were that someone else had taken his, but after a few moments came to the conclusion that they had missed the flight.

After a few minutes at the airline office, he was told they could locate where his luggage was at that time and they would call us at the hotel as soon as they found them.

Arriving at the hotel we settled down in our room to relax as our discussion began with what he would wear for the services which were only a couple hours away. Since there would be no more flights until late that evening he began to worry. As I looked at him, I realized we were about the same size so I asked him his size. To my amazement we were identical in all sizes.

My clothes had already been put in the closets and chests when I said, “see if my suits and shirts will fit you?” They fit him better than on me, I thought to myself.

That night as he addressed the congregation, I could not keep but see my garments on my friend and how well they looked on him. This was nearly a miracle because at our size 52 suits it would have been next to impossible for him to have found a store to fit him in such a remote island only miles off the coast of South America.

Well, for a whole week his luggage failed to show up, so he wore my clothes from foundational to outerwear all the time we were in Trinidad. When we landed in Miami on our return, while changing planes his name was paged just before boarding. His luggage had been found and had been put on the returning plane. He picked them up in Columbus with gladness. His last words to me were “Well, at least I won’t have to send them to the cleaners!”

For a number of years I teased him about that trip telling him how well he was dressed and it cost him nothing. He would only smile.

Well, my friend passed away recently and he is wearing heavenly clothes today. He is wearing a “one size fits all” prepared by the Master tailor.

“He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.” Rev. 3:5

No comments: