Sunday, March 15, 2009

WELCOME MY FRIENDS

Willkommen!

When we were considering moving to Farmington, Missouri, we thought we would be living in a French community since the county is St. Francois, obviously a French name. However, to our surprise the area is much more German than French.

My wife is from German descend whose great-grandfather was from Alsace, (which has been both French and German, since it is located on the west bank of the upper Rhine river adjacent to Germany and Switzerland), so we have been to Germany a number of times. But recently I have discovered you can visit Germany without going very far.


Now just past the railroad tracks on highway D north you have a new business called Ole Tyme Pantry, filled with Amish and Mennonite cheese, meats and food items from various sister businesses in the country. What an addition to our community for those of us who still enjoy the delights of the old country and unprocessed foods. Let me voice my approval with; “Sie sind willkommen,” or as we would say in English, “You are welcome.” This pantry is the results of five Bethel Mennonite families who recently moved to our area and hope to establish a church with three more families moving here soon. What a thrill to have people of their conviction and compassion among us.


Then a few days ago, I was driving on Jefferson west of the courthouse and saw Bauhaus Kaffee. (Bauhaus means schoolhouse). I called my wife and we returned to share in another welcomed desired. I walked to the order desk and said, “Kaffee Bitte!” My request for “Coffee please!” was met by "Danke" or "Thank you.” We knew the coffee would be great, because Germans annually consume on a per capita basis 118 gallons or 1,888 cups of coffee yearly. We saw three blends and I picked the right one. It was great! My wife ordered a Rueben and halved it with me. It too was satisfying.

Preparing to leave, I inquired if the new place would be enlarging to a wider German menu. “Yes, we plan to begin a Bavarian breakfast and start a good selection of German brats, kraut, and potatoes as soon as our kitchen is ready,” the new owner replied.

My appetite began to run away with me as I dreamed maybe one day: “Wiener Schnitzel, Jaeger Schnitzel, Bratwurst, Currywurst with sides such as German potato salad, Blaukraut and Sauerkraut.

I began longing for Kaffee und Kuchen (coffee and cake) and such German pastries as Black Forest cake or Torte, Apfelstrudel, and German Käsekuchen.

I hope my dreams are not unrealistic and my desires don’t run them away before they can get their business well established.


Just think! Now it is cheaper for me to go to Germany--because Germany has come to our town.


“All the days of the afflicted are evil, but he who is of a merry heart has a continual feast.”--Proverbs 15:15 (NKJV)

No comments: